The officially supported plugin for Maya (22.214.171.124) is the Substance for Maya plugin found on the Allegorithmic website. The plugin can be downloaded here: https://www.allegorithmic.com/buy/download
|Maya ships with a legacy version of the Substance plugin. It is no longer supported. This guide only covers the official plugin version (126.96.36.199).|
The Substance plugin allows you to load a Substance material created in Substance Designer directly in Maya. The plugin will create a Maya material and feed the substance textures into the material channels inputs. You can then make changes to the substance parameters and the textures will automatically update.
|Maya 188.8.131.52 update has removed the GPU due to various bug related issues. Resolution is capped at 2048x2048. The Maya version 2.0 plugin development is underway and GPU among a host of new features will be coming.|
Opening a Substance
- Open the Hypershade and in the Node Editor, right-click and swipe up in the marking menu to choose create node. This opens the Create Node window. From there, you can search for the Substance node.
You can also hit tab in the node editor and in the text field, type substance and this will filter to the substance options. From the options, choose Substance Texture.
Select the Substance node and in the Property Editor, set the Workflow to PBR. There are 3 modes you can choose from:
Workflow Classic Non-PBR materials - creates a phongE maya material - Legacy Support PBR PBR Materials - creates a stingray PBS material/Shader - Main option to use Custom Does not create a material. Only generates substance outputs *Will need to enable Auto-Baking to create textures for use with 3rd Party renders
- Browse to load a Substance (.sbsar) file.
- The Substance Graph dropdown will populate if the Substance contains multiple graphs. The graph chosen will be used to create the material.
- The Edit Button allows you to Edit the sbsar file in a 3rd party application such as Substance Player.
- Click the Create Shader Network button to create the material and Substance texture outputs. A Stingray PBS material will be created and will have Substance textures set as the shader inputs.
- Apply the Stingray PBS material to your asset.
To adjust the resolution of the textures you can do the following:
- Change the absolute width
- Uncheck absolute size to change the texture by a multiplier. Adjust the Relative width setting.
Uncheck Lock Aspect Ratio to change the width and the height separately
Changing the Random Seed will randomize all of the texture outputs. To adjust parameters you can change the Basic and Advanced Parameters. Note that a custom substance may not contain basic and advanced parameter but instead of it's own set of categories and parameters. Changing a parameter will cause the Substance Engine to recompute the textures that are fed into the Maya material.
You can use the place2dTexture node which feeds into the Substance node to adjust UV coordinates. If you are using the Stingray PBS material, you need to set the tiling on the Stingray PBS material using the Uv offset parameter. For more information, please check the "Working with Stingray PBS" section.