Under the Substance menu at the top of the 3ds max UI, you can change various settings such as engine mode and default resolution.
- Selected Engine: This switches between the GPU and CPU engines. The GPU engine allows you to compute textures up to 8K in resolution. The CPU engine is currently capped at 2K.
- Default Input Resolution X: Sets the default X resolution when Substances are created. Can be changed per Substance
- Default Input Resolution Y: Sets the default Y resolution when Substances are created. Can be changed per Substance.
- Default Lock Resolution Ratio: Sets the default state for locking the X and Y resolution for a Substance. Can be changed per Substance.
- Memory Budget / CPU Cores Limit: These are optimization settings for the Substance Engine. In the case of multitasking or rendering, these settings can be adjusted to lower the hardware resources used by the Substance Engine in a trade off for performance.