The Substance plugin enables the use of Substance materials directly in UE4. Whether you are working in games, architectural visualization or virtual reality, Substance delivers a unique experience with optimized features for enhanced productivity.
Work faster, be more productive: Substance parameters allow for real-time material changes and texture updates.
Access the Substance Source library: over 1000 high-quality tweakable and export-ready 4K materials with presets.
Update Substance materials at runtime with an extensive Blueprint API.
LiveLink with Substance Painter: real-time updates within the Unreal Engine Scene as you texture in Substance Painter.
The Substance plugin can be download from the Unreal Engine Marketplace. The plugin allows you to import Substance material files (.sbsar) directly into UE4, access Substance Source and establish a Live link with Substance Painter.
Importing a Substance
- In the Content Browser, click the Import Button and browse for the Substance .sbsar file.
- In the Substance Import options, you can set the INST and Material name that will be created. The import will create a Substance INST and Factory along with the generated textures. A UE4 material will be created with the Substance textures as input to the material channels.
- Double-click the Substance INST item to open the Parameters window.
- The Reset button will reset the substance parameters to default. The Export and Import preset will export a Substance Preset file (.sbspr) using the values set in the editor. You can import a preset as well.
- In the Outputs, you can disable and enable outputs which generate textures.
- Output size will allow you to change the texture size.
- Random Seed will change the seed value to generate the textures. This is good for randomizing materials.
- The Parameters section allows you to tweak the material.